Cadet
Full Name: Dakota Bender
Legion ID#: 0
Active Designations: 0
Units: Corellia
Legion Member Since: 0

Introduction

Post by Templar »

Hello, my name is Dakota I'm the new cadet here at garrison corellia. It is very nice to meet you all and I thank you for accepting me into the garrison. My first plan of action is to slowly start working on my costume, with me having to work 14days out of the month 12 hour swing shifts I have at least 1 week off a month, I shall do what I can and put my money where I can for the costume. I plan to make a Heavy Shore trooper costume. The shore troopers to me have a very interesting and unique look to them, that's why I decided for that to be my costume, I would like to add a blaster pistol and a heavy rifle to it. To make the costume look like I'm a heavy weapons expert. I hope to do great things and meet you all. Thanks again everyone see you out there, and I'd like to thank Grand admiral William for helping me join and showing me the way.
TeaJay
Staff
Staff
Full Name: TJ Jones
Legion ID#: 12864
Active Designations: TB, TD, TS, TI, TA, IC, ID, TX
Legion Member Since: Feb. 2016

Re: Introduction

Post by TeaJay »

Welcome to the forum, Dakota! Charis, our GML (Garrison Membership Liaison) will be contacting you in the near future to get things started and get you assigned to a costume advisor to help you with your costume creation journey. Diving into a hard armor costume can be intimidating, but taking your time and doing research on the costume will be very helpful even before you order a kit and start building.

For Shoretroopers there's a few trusted vendors you can go with on ordering that hard armor pieces. My recommendation would be to check out ImperialSurplus -- Armor: https://imperialsurplus.com/product/sho ... per-armor/ Helmet: https://imperialsurplus.com/product/sho ... er-helmet/

I purchased my hard armor and helmet from ImperialSurplus for my Rogue One ICAT (Tank) Trooper and the quality is phenomenal.

There are other recommended vendor options out there and certain 3D print files that have been vetted if you want to go that route.

In the 501st, there are "detachments" that focus on costumes with a common theme, in the case with Shoretroopers, they are part of the Pathfinders detachment. Detachments have their own forum that focus on specific costumes and how to build them, which vendors are up to 501st standards, which to avoid, how-to guides, and help. Here's a link to the pathfinder's detachment, be sure to get an account over there as well: http://forum.501stpathfinders.com/index.php?act=home

Again, welcome!

Commanding Officer, Web Liaison, and Webmaster

My Build Threads List

501st:
Active: ROTJ Scout, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper, TIE Reserve, TIE Pilot: OT, Bridge Crew, ICAT Commander, Imperial Army Trooper - Andor, Warrant Officer, Imperial Security Services Officer
Retired: Darth Nihilus: KOTOR II, ANH Stunt TK
Rebel Legion:
Rebel Pilot (X-Wing), Snowspeeder Pilot
---

Spec Ops Detachment Trooper of the Month - Mar 2023
Schraeds
Staff
Staff
Full Name: Matt Schraeder
Legion ID#: 99920
Active Designations: TB, TK, ID

Post by Schraeds »

I'm glad that you made your way to the forums, Dakota. And I saw that you are on Discord. You've taken your first step into a larger world.
Matt Schraeder - "Darth Professor"
TB/TD/ID/SL-99920, Jedi
Templar
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Templar »

Thank you, I hope I'm ready for it, I'm eagerly excited. My only slight problem I'm having right now, is trying to find the shore trooper glove with correct armour plate.
TeaJay
Staff
Staff

Post by TeaJay »

You can get a great set of Shore trooper gloves here at Endor Finders: https://www.endorfinders.com/shop/rogue ... per-gloves

To my knowledge all of the Rogue One troopers use the same style gloves. The gloves listed above are 501st approvable for Shoretroopers.

The handplates will be included with your armor kit that you buy from your hard armor vendor of choice. In my example earlier, a hard armor vendor option that you have is ImperialSurplus (https://imperialsurplus.com/product/sho ... per-armor/).

If you end up reaching out to ImperialSurplus to get a price quote, make sure you mention that you're needing the pieces for "the Shoretrooper grunt and captain" -- As it includes the "Pringles can" greeblie also seen on the Heavy Shoretrooper from BF2. It also doesn't hurt to mention to Kevin (the owner of ImperialSurplus) that you are specifically making the Heavy Shoretrooper from BF2. He'll know what you're talking about, he's also a legion member. :)

-- I circled the parts for the "Pringles can" greeblie and the one set of three cylinder greeblies.

Note the numbered areas in screenshot below... there are 2 groups of 3 cylinder greeblies on the Heavy Shoretrooper. In this case, Kevin will need to know that you're doing a Heavy Shoretrooper so that he can add an additional set of three to the one set that comes standard with the "Grunt/Captain" kit.

Here it is on the CRL image:

My Build Threads List

501st:
Active: ROTJ Scout, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper, TIE Reserve, TIE Pilot: OT, Bridge Crew, ICAT Commander, Imperial Army Trooper - Andor, Warrant Officer, Imperial Security Services Officer
Rebel Legion:
---

Templar
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Templar »

How will I get the tan/wear out color on the armour for the gloves.
TeaJay
Staff
Staff

Post by TeaJay »

Templar wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:50 pm How will I get the tan/wear out color on the armour for the gloves.
Spray painting the hard armor the correct color tan and then doing various weathering techniques on all of the armor, including the handplates.

As your armor is assembled, painting and weathering will be part of the process. Shoretroopers and other Rogue One era troopers can be complex builds.

My Build Threads List

501st:
Rebel Legion:
---

TeaJay
Staff
Staff

Post by TeaJay »

I wanted to post up my build thread for my Rogue One ICAT - Tanktrooper. This will give you an idea of the build process with an armor kit that is pretty similar to a Shoretrooper. In fact, the shoretrooper requires a bit more effort than what I needed to do with the tanktrooper...

Here's my build thread here on the garrison forum: viewtopic.php?t=978

My Build Threads List

501st:
Rebel Legion:
---

TK Boyer
501st Member
501st Member
Full Name: Charis Boyer

Post by TK Boyer »

Hi Dakota!
Welcome! My name is Charis and I have the honor to serve as the Garrison Member Liaison (GML) and the Executive Officer (XO) for Garrison Corellia. I have assigned TJ to be your advisor. He has a ton of experience with hard armor costumes and will be a fantastic resource for you on the forums. We would love to see you at any armor parties that we may have in your area.

We have a number of upcoming events that you are welcome to attend as a handler so you can have the opportunity to see how an event works and talk to members of the Garrison. I look forward to seeing your costume progress and having you join as a full fledged member.

Please use this thread to document you progress: viewtopic.php?t=1123
Templar
Cadet
Cadet

Post by Templar »

Great to meet you charis. Tj has been a great help to me so far, and glad he's my advisor now. I'll try my hardest to be at any armour parties in the area especially once I start getting them, the events I shall try and go to on my days off if they fall on one, or simply request one of them off. I'm excited to see how it works out and to begin my armour. I'm excited to see how the events work and what all we do as a garrison, I have noticed on the roster there is a few members close to me, I look forward to meeting them someday when available.