Veteran
Full Name: Josh Deem
Legion ID#: 20424
Active Designations: TK
Units: Corellia
Legion Member Since: 3-25-2023

Checking in from Lewisburg area

Post by TurdFerguson »

Hi there folks. I signed up hoping to join the 501st with my TK build that is almost complete. Any members out there from this area? I have spent some time on the whitearmor forums learning from those guys and I already have the armor kit (AP), soft parts, and blaster. I'm finishing up helmet electronics now (voice amp, icomm, hearing assist) and tweaking the armor fit. I'm not quite ready to share pics, but soon!
My daughter and I got more into cosplay in the past couple years and we have been to some cons. We spent some time hanging out with the Serenno Squad 501st guys from VA at the last con in Roanoke and it made me even more interested in joining. My daughter is a hardcore Star Wars fan (even more than myself). She convinced me to go for a TK, and I'm glad I did. I'm an electronics engineer in the real world, so I enjoy tinkering with the electronics aspect of cosplay. I have never seen the 501st or Rebel Legion make an appearance at anything in this part of the state, so I would like to see that change. I have a friend here locally that is also working on a TK, and he also hopes to join up with me.
I also hope to get more into some droid building in the future. I post a lot of the cool nerdy stuff we get into on my IG @galacticgotham. It seems like only about 5 people ever see what I post, but whatever. I have to think this audience would find some of it interesting. Anyway, I hope to troop with you all sometime soon.

Josh
TeaJay
Staff
Staff
Full Name: TJ Jones
Legion ID#: 12864
Active Designations: TB, TD, TS, TI, TA, IC, ID, TX
Legion Member Since: Feb. 2016

Re: Checking in from Lewisburg area

Post by TeaJay »

Hey Josh, welcome to the forum! Our garrison, like many others, has a costume advisor program to aid new cadets in sourcing information and helping with the build process. I have completed a level 3 (Centurion) ANH TK and I'd personally like to take you as my cadet to help you with answering questions, etc. with the build process. I have created a build thread for you here: viewtopic.php?p=10233#p10233

There you can ask questions about the costume, show progress updates, etc. "In-progress" shots are great, don't feel like you have to wait to share photos. Which TK are you specifically building? Which film/show?

It sounds like you've got the majority of your homework done. Whitearmor is the place to be for your TK build. Have you started a build thread over there or just using the forum as a resource?

AP is a great vendor option. How long did it take to get a kit from them?

It would be great to see events come through in the Lewisburg area. We have many events scattered throughout the state, but Lewisburg isn't often an area that comes up. That could always change though!

Again, welcome to the forum and looking forward to future conversation!

Commanding Officer, Web Liaison, and Webmaster

My Build Threads List

501st:
Active: ROTJ Scout, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper, TIE Reserve, TIE Pilot: OT, Bridge Crew, ICAT Commander, Imperial Army Trooper - Andor, Warrant Officer, Imperial Security Services Officer
Retired: Darth Nihilus: KOTOR II, ANH Stunt TK
Rebel Legion:
Rebel Pilot (X-Wing), Snowspeeder Pilot
---

Spec Ops Detachment Trooper of the Month - Mar 2023
TurdFerguson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TurdFerguson »

Hey, much appreciated. I will post some stuff to the build thread soon. I'm building a ANH stunt kit. I have not created a build thread at whitearmor. I have just been lurking around there for some time to get pointers. It only took me about 6 weeks to get my kit from AP. My friend Steve has also ordered his from there and his is projected at 8 weeks right now. I do wish I had done a bit more research up front about the armor makers though. I'm about 6'1" and 225 lbs, and after I got the kit I read that guys my size do better with some of the other makers and that AP kits are better for troopers a little smaller than me. So I'm doing a little dremel work on return edges and such...details maybe better for the build thread.
Causecon is in Beckley in late April so that's when I hope to debut the suit along with my junior imperial officer. I had hoped that you guys might attend that.
TeaJay
Staff
Staff

Post by TeaJay »

We have not received an invite from Causecon yet. They still have some time to reach out to us by submitting a event request via our website.

Did AP give you extra ABS (besides for cover strips) to possibly shim the sides between your kidney plate and your ab plate? That can always help with closing those two specific gaps on each side. We can chat more about that on your build thread :)

My Build Threads List

501st:
Active: ROTJ Scout, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper, TIE Reserve, TIE Pilot: OT, Bridge Crew, ICAT Commander, Imperial Army Trooper - Andor, Warrant Officer, Imperial Security Services Officer
Rebel Legion:
---

TurdFerguson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TurdFerguson »

Nope I did not get any shims. I think those gaps close up reasonably well for me, but it's the thighs and shins that have given me some issues. I'll move further discussion to build thread.
Darth Boyer
Staff
Staff
Full Name: Michel Boyer
Legion ID#: 9720
Active Designations: TS, TK, IC, ID, TI, IS, IG, IN, TX, TR
Legion Member Since: February 2010

Post by Darth Boyer »

Josh, Welcome to the boards. TJ is an excellent source of information for the TK.

I’m 5’11” and 230 and have been trooping in a FX armor for more than a decade. My goal is to turn that armor into a sand trooper since it has some weathering from trooping and I have a new set of AM armor that will be built as a TK.

And if you have any connection with the folks who run the con down there, have them reach out to us and we will see who might be available for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TS/TK/IC/ID/TI/IS/IG/IN/TX/TR/DZ/BH-9720
Still to complete:
TD (Sandtrooper); 50%
TB (ROTJ Biker Scout); 60%
TA (AT-AT driver) 25%
SL (Darth Tyranus AOTC) 60%
TurdFerguson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TurdFerguson »

Thanks a lot. I don't have any connection with anyone there but that won't stop me from asking them to invite you guys. What's a con without the 501st? 😂 I would love to see you there.
davoron
Staff
Staff
Full Name: David Voron
Legion ID#: 42061
Active Designations: IC DZ TI
Legion Member Since: 10/23/2022

Post by davoron »

Welcome Josh, can't wait to see your TK and your progress. Is your Junior Imperial Officer close to being completed as well?
David Voron
DZ/IC/TI-42061
Garrison Event Coordinator
Garrison Corellia
ImageImageImageImage
TurdFerguson
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TurdFerguson »

Thank you. Yes my little commanding officer is ready to go. Here's a couple pics from the last con. (I'm Batman 😁).

I actually planned to do a sand trooper originally because I like to do weathering (and I wanted to wear a pauldron). But she told me I had to be a TK because I needed to be stationed on a star destroyer so she could be my commanding officer. 😀 Not sure her uniform is accurate for that but it's good enough.
Attachments
20230211_112641(1)(1).jpg
20230211_112641(1)(1).jpg (53.65 KiB) Viewed 8799 times
20230211_131431(1).jpg
20230211_131431(1).jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 8799 times
TeaJay
Staff
Staff

Post by TeaJay »

You can always do what I did... build it out as a TK (save your extra parts that came in your AP kit for sandtrooper) and wear it as a TK until you get tired of cleaning it and keeping it shiny, then maybe your officer will let you change it up after a while. :lol:

My Build Threads List

501st:
Rebel Legion:
---