501st Member
Full Name: Charles (Chad) McCallister
Legion ID#: 71670
Active Designations: TK
Units: Corellia
Legion Member Since: March 2021

New too

Post by Standrex »

Ive been going through other links and trying to read other links so much Ive forgotten to post here. Im in Berkeley Springs and have my first kit on order now. After reading up... Well... Still not sure what Im in for (I never knew the difference in the plastics...), but Im going for broke at this point... Going out today to get more bits for my dremill (spelling?), Xacto blades, etc. Recommendations on other tools? Is there an official stormtrooper white for paint? Preference to type of paint (acrylic?)? Im excited, but afraid of goofing up on something.
TeaJay
Staff
Staff
Full Name: TJ Jones
Legion ID#: 12864
Active Designations: TB, TD, TS, TI, TA, IC, ID, TX
Legion Member Since: Feb. 2016

Re: New too

Post by TeaJay »

Hi Chad,

Great to have you! Our GML (Garrison Member Liaison), Michel Boyer, will be in touch with you in the coming days. He will assign you to an adviser that will help you in the costuming process along the way. What specific costume are you working on and who did you order from? I may be able to point you in the direction of some starter info for the time being.

Commanding Officer, Web Liaison, and Webmaster

My Build Threads List

501st:
Active: ROTJ Scout, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper, TIE Reserve, TIE Pilot: OT, Bridge Crew, ICAT Commander, Imperial Army Trooper - Andor, Warrant Officer, Imperial Security Services Officer
Retired: Darth Nihilus: KOTOR II, ANH Stunt TK
Rebel Legion:
Rebel Pilot (X-Wing), Snowspeeder Pilot
---

Spec Ops Detachment Trooper of the Month - Mar 2023
Standrex
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Standrex »

Thanks... Im kind sad to say it was off ebay after doing reading some links here and other places. The seller was "makerofthings". Its a TK. I was going with just a standard look until I established everything. Im not even sure, but I think the suit is HIPS - it just says "white styrene"( after reading, I think I wish Id gotten ABS, but will probably eventually phase ABS parts in a bit at a time).
DamnitDavid
501st Member
501st Member
Full Name: David McIntyre
Legion ID#: 38987
Legion Member Since: Feb. 2017

Post by DamnitDavid »

Whitearmor has a nifty thread kn what you will need snd others in the garrison will chime in. Lexan scissors, a flexible cork backed metal ruler, and pencil are my most used implements. Followed by a utility/box/carpet knife, i have actually used my exacto a lot less than i thought using the larger utility knife for scoring and snapping. Lexan scissors for the curved parts. I have not started to glue anything yet, but blue masking tape has helped a ton.
DamnitDavid
501st Member
501st Member
Full Name: David McIntyre
Legion ID#: 38987
Legion Member Since: Feb. 2017

Post by DamnitDavid »

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/3 ... -tk-build/
That is the supply list I started with. I have a post in my build thread with what i have collected so far and ehat was recommended. I dont have everything in the list. I can make due without them, or borrow the item. (like a riveter)
TeaJay
Staff
Staff

Post by TeaJay »

Standrex wrote:Thanks... Im kind sad to say it was off ebay after doing reading some links here and other places. The seller was "makerofthings". Its a TK. I was going with just a standard look until I established everything. Im not even sure, but I think the suit is HIPS - it just says "white styrene"( after reading, I think I wish Id gotten ABS, but will probably eventually phase ABS parts in a bit at a time).
You'll need to be extremely careful about eBay armor, Maker-of-Things is a known re-caster. A large amount of eBay armor is just flat out not approvable. Is this what you purchased? :( http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-ANH-S ... 1999554899

If you can, I recommend canceling the order or requesting a refund. Please read through this post at whitearmor.net regarding places to avoid purchasing from: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/1 ... en-buying/

Here's a list of reputable armorers: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/1 ... find-them/

Our GML will have to chime in on if this armor would be approvable or not.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Footnote about re-casting from FISD:

Re-casting:

The reasons why not to look into re-cast armor is first, the quality and customer service is not there. It may look like you are getting a great deal, because of the price and/or possibly the time frame and you are eager to get started on your TK and do not want you wait...

99% of the time, the product will be made out of sub-standard material that will not withstand trooping or even arrive at your door step with problems to begin with. Then that good deal turns into a money pit. You will end up spending money trying to fix or work on this now "not so good deal" than if you had taken the money that you spent on the re-cast and also trying to fix it and applied it to a product from a reputable vendor.

Another reason is that re-casting is basically stealing. I would hope that no one here condones stealing.

My Build Threads List

501st:
Active: ROTJ Scout, Sandtrooper, Snowtrooper, TIE Reserve, TIE Pilot: OT, Bridge Crew, ICAT Commander, Imperial Army Trooper - Andor, Warrant Officer, Imperial Security Services Officer
Rebel Legion:
---

Standrex
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Standrex »

Close... its http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-ANH-S ... 1999554899 I ordered a helmet kit seperately. I just saw that the order was shipped out yesterday... I was reading whitearmor previously which is what clued me in. Im going to think... be patient... evaluate... see what comes and expect to reinvest... I just bought all kinds of materials, so... back to research...
TeaJay
Staff
Staff

Post by TeaJay »

Standrex wrote:Close... its http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Wars-ANH-S ... 1999554899 I ordered a helmet kit seperately. I just saw that the order was shipped out yesterday... I was reading whitearmor previously which is what clued me in. Im going to think... be patient... evaluate... see what comes and expect to reinvest... I just bought all kinds of materials, so... back to research...
Please keep in mind, we are definitely here to help you out through the costuming process. If you have research questions that you can't find the answers to or aren't confident in the answer that you are given, please come to us or the staff for the storm trooper detachment (FISD) over at whitearmor.net. If you do not have a forum account over there, please make one. Some of the content is not visible to anonymous (non-logged-in) users.

After checking with the detachment lead at FISD, I can confirm that makerofthings' TK kit will not be 501st approvable. One thing that one of the staffers did back in the day was put together the makerofthings kit and resold it on ebay as a halloween costume to recoup some of his costs, see here: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/3 ... ntry485353

It is completely up to you what you'd like to do with the armor that you've ordered from makerofthings, but if I was in your situation, I would try to return it for a refund. However, it may be a good exercise for you to put that armor together and resell it online while you purchase and wait on an approvable kit to be shipped to you.

My Build Threads List

501st:
Rebel Legion:
---

Standrex
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Standrex »

Unfortunately, it says no refunds... I have been thinking about reselling it. Ive also thought about using it as practice, too. I could get a dummyto dress up in the corner... It would make sense to resell it...
Standrex
501st Member
501st Member

Post by Standrex »

Ok... Im looking at the Anovos kit. I can add the soft kit later, right? Im barely 5'7"... Im a bit hesitant about ordering stuff if there might be an issue with the size right now. Are there any other issues I should keep in mind?